Pigeon Valley Fire update 12. 7 February 2019. 2200 hours
- Wider Wakefield residents are asked to remove any flammable items from around the home.
- Prepare to evacuate wider Wakefield if requested
- This is a precautionary message.
The fire has intensified over the last few hours, the fire continues to move.
As a precaution, we are asking people in the Wakefield area to be prepared should they need to evacuate. In the meantime to reduce the risk of property do the following:
- Remove flammable items from around your house. This includes deck furniture and doors mats.
- Dampen dry areas around the house especially where dry leaves could gather (includes wetting gutters, spraying decks, and making sure gaps are not open under the house)
- Keep windows closed overnight
It could also be time to
- Find any house pets (cats and dogs), bring them inside for the night
- Leave cellphones on and charged overnight so you can receive alerts
- Contact neighbours and friends in the Wakefield area and make sure they are prepared
- If you see spot fires – dial 111 immediately
- Prepare essential items such as food, clothing and medication to take should you need to evacuate
If you feel uncomfortable staying in the area please contact Civil Defence on 03 543 8400.
Police will lead any evacuations, and let people know if they need to evacuate.
Updates will be available on the Nelson Tasman Civil Defence website and Facebook page, both Nelson City and Tasman District Council Facebook pages and websites, Fire and Emergency website, and through Newstalk ZB 1341AM BrianFm radio at 105.6 FM.