Pigeon Valley Fire update 11. 7 February 2019. 2000 hours
- Further evacuations needed in Teapot Valley area
- Cordon lifted at Malling Road, now open to residents
- Fire area has been reassessed, now covers 1600 ha, with a perimeter of 23km. See an updated map here. http://eaglegis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=93331eb73d1d40ee97071238e6c350d5
- 100 staff are on the ground fighting the fire.
- Some residents were permitted temporary access to check on properties and animals
Due to the increased intensity of the fire this afternoon, a further 25 properties in Teapot Valley were evacuated, and others in Barton Lane.
At 1600hrs today the cordon was removed at Malling Road, which had been evacuated as a precaution but was not affected by the fire.
Emergency Management Group Controller Rob Smith says “Residents in some affected areas were permitted temporary access to some properties this evening, with support from Police and Fire and Emergency New Zealand.”
Depending on progress with the fire and weather conditions tomorrow, it may be possible to access other areas. Residents will be directly contacted if this is possible.
If residents are concerned about dry leaves (including in your gutters), long grass or firewood around your house, then take the opportunity to wet it down.
Update from the field
44 Firefighters will be actively attacking the fire overnight in efforts to battle the Pigeon Valley fire, after fire intensified this afternoon due increased winds and low humidity. This has caused the perimeter of the fire to expand and we are still determining the exact extent of this.
We will continue to create fire breaks on the perimeter using five bulldozers, four excavators, and three tankers to suppress any active fire within 10 – 30 metres of the perimeter from spreading.
An additional three crews and heavy machinery will be arriving tomorrow to assist.
As the fire is still vulnerable to changing weather patterns we will continue to monitor and respond accordingly. Tomorrow, it is expected that wind is expected to pick up with warm temperatures and low humidity.
Confirmed road closures / cordons
Hard cordons are now in place and the following roads are closed.
- Pigeon Valley Road at the fire station to the last driveway before the seal in Dovedale (approx. 381 Dovedale Road).
- Moutere Highway from Redwood Rd to Waimea West Road intersection
- Eves Valley Road
- Teapot Valley Road
- Golden Hills Road at Moutere Highway intersection
- Golden Hills Road at Challies Road intersection
- The intersection of Redwood Valley Road and Redwood Valley Lane
- Green Acres Road
- Barton Lane / Simmonds Road / Arnold Lane
Updates will be available on the Nelson Tasman Civil Defence website and facebook page, (https://www.facebook.com/nelsontasmancivildefenceandemergencymanagement/) both Nelson City and Tasman District Council facebook pages and websites, and through Newstalk ZB 1341AM BrianFm radio at 105.6 FM.